Author: Himalaya Post

30 years after Myanmar uprising, dissidents fear struggle forgotten

YANGON  – Ko Shell had his teeth knocked out during torture sessions and spent 14 years in six jails, but as the 30th anniversary looms of the famed Myanmar pro-democracy uprising that led to his incarceration, he says those sacrifices are being forgotten. Sitting in a tea shop in downtown Yangon, he worries history is not being taught to the younger generation, a frustration mirroring wider disappointment with the government among many jailed for opposing the junta which ruled for four decades. “All the true stories were not shared with the public,” the 49-year-old said.Military regimes in Myanmar imprisoned nearly 10,000 people since the army first seized power in 1962, sending the country into decades of isolation. Most were jailed in the years after nationwide strikes on August 8, 1988, part of broader anti-junta demonstrations that catapulted Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi into the spotlight. The daughter of Myanmar’s independence hero, Suu Kyi was swept up in the revolt shortly after returning from a cozy life in England to care for her sick mother. But despite then spending a combined 15 years under house arrest by the paranoid regime, Suu Kyi has emphasised reconciling with the generals after winning landmark elections in 2015. While a third of MPs in her party have served time for activism, prominent members of the 1988 protests were passed over when candidates for...

Read More

Bangladesh seal T20 series with 19-run victory over Windies

LAUDERHILL, United States – Bangladesh withstood a withering assault from Andre Russell to complete a series-clinching 19-run victory on the DLS Method over the West Indies in the rain-affected deciding final fixture of their three-match T20 International Series on Sunday. Russell smashed 47 off just 21 deliveries with six towering sixes and one four to keep the Caribbean side in with a chance of surpassing Bangladesh’s formidable total of 184 for five at the Central Broward Stadium in Florida. However his dismissal at the start of the 18th over, giving left-arm seamer Mustafizur Rahman his third wicket of the innings, effectively sealed the result in favour of Bangladesh. Russell’s departure at 135 for seven off 17.1 overs was immediately followed by a sharp shower which ended any further prospect of play, although there was little chance of the West Indies getting anywhere close to the target off a full 20 overs with all their big-hitters gone. Having been thrashed in both Tests at the start of the tour, this T20 series triumph follows on the 2-1 success in the One-Day International contest for the Asian side. – Das sets tone – Their formidable total was set up by a career-best effort from Liton Das.Das set the tone at the top of the order for his team after captain Shakib al Hasan chose to bat first with a blistering innings...

Read More

Five killed, dozens shot in Chicago ‘violent night’

WASHINGTON  – Forty-four people were shot across the Midwestern US city of Chicago Sunday, US media reported, with five killed in a wave of violence police branded “totally unacceptable.” Chicago Police chief of patrol Fred Waller told a press conference Sunday afternoon some of the shootings were “targeted” and related to gang conflicts. “The city of Chicago experienced a violent night. Incidents of either random or targeted shooting on our streets is totally unacceptable,” he said.CNN reported multiple shootings took place between midnight and 2:00 pm local time — with 10 taking place in just three hours from 1:30 am. Gunmen targeted groups including one gathering of people who had attended a funeral repast, police said, adding that one of the injured victims was an 11-year-old boy.Chicago experienced a near 20-year record number of murders in 2016, prompting President Donald Trump to regularly single out the city for criticism. But Waller said so far this year, there has been a reduction in shootings of over 30 percent in Chicago, while murders are down by 25 percent.”That’s not a victory by any means, or any stretch” he said. “But we continue to head in the right direction.” He also said more than 5,500 illegal guns had been confiscated from the city’s streets.”I promise this city, we won’t be defeated,” he vowed during the press conference.”We all live in this city....

Read More

ARF ministers call on N.K. to fulfill commitment to complete denuclearization

SEOUL – The foreign ministers from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and 17 other countries urged North Korea to fulfill its commitment to complete denuclearization during their Singapore talks last week, their chair statement showed Monday. Singapore, this year’s chair of the annual ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF), published its statement summarizing the foreign ministers’ meeting, which took place Saturday. The annual ARF is the sole regional forum in which the North’s top diplomat participates. “The ministers urged all concerned parties to continue working towards the realization of lasting peace and stability on a denuclearized Korean Peninsula,” the statement reads. “They also urged the DPRK to fulfill its stated commitment to complete denuclearization and its pledge to refrain from further nuclear and missile tests,” it added, referring to North Korea’s formal name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. The statement also noted that the ministers welcomed the April and May inter-Korean summits at the border truce village of Panmunjom and the historic June Singapore summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. At the summits, Kim committed himself to the complete denuclearization of the peninsula, which was seen by optimists as a positive sign but by skeptics as yet another vague pledge with no specifics as for how and when to achieve that goal. The statement, in addition, said that during the ARF talks,...

Read More

Iran diplomat granted entry to Saudi: state media

TEHRAN  – Saudi Arabia has granted a visa to an Iranian diplomat to work in a consular office in Jeddah, state media reported Sunday, in a rare sign of a thaw between the rival powers. Foreign ministry official Mohammad Alibak has been permitted to serve as head of Iran’s Interests Section in the consulate, state news agency IRNA reported. There was no immediate confirmation from Riyadh.Sunni powerhouse Saudi Arabia and Iran, the predominant Shiite power, have for decades stood on opposing sides of conflicts in the Middle East including the Syrian civil war. The two countries severed diplomatic relations in early 2016 after Riyadh’s embassy in Tehran was attacked by militants in response to the execution of a top Shiite cleric in Saudi...

Read More

Like us on Facebook